Monday, January 08, 2007

Chapter I: A Fish to Water

Got to the airport way too early, so I had to wait over an hour for Dad's flight. As I begin to see people trickle out of Customs, I take my place at the greeting area. It isn't long thereafter and he isn't hard to mistake--peaking over the black-haired heads of many a Korean, he's sporting his usual tight bluejeans, leather jacket and chemical company's hat. We dispense with the mooshy formalities and catch a cab back downtown.

Arriving back at the hotel, we unload our burdens and I pop the question: "So, what do you want to eat?" I had prepared several contigencies depending on how he felt, but he was feeling remarkably well and delivered a direct answer: "Meat." We readied ourselves, making our way through throngs of people and arriving at my favorite 돼지갈비 ( daeji-galbi, marinated pork) and 삼겹살 (samgyeopsal, thick cut sidepork/bacon) restaurant. We proceed to mow down, Dad using chopsticks like he's been in Korea a month, ordering two different (small) bottles of traditional wine, toasting with a trio of ladies sitting next to us, and having a merry old time.

Afterwards we hit the street and dad finishes his tenth cigarette since he got off the plane. Assuming he might be tired, I ask him if he wants to go back to the hotel. His reply: "Let's go get a drink." Long story short, we end up at a club I know, drinking cocktails and checking out the scattered ass. Finally, we crash for the evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home